Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Today I continued to build my resistance muscle by fighting my urge to take a "break" from exercise because it was Mother's Day. I had no excuse in all honesty. I'm not a mom (yet) and my own mom lives out of state. So with a little encouragement from the Holy Spirit, I headed to the gym after church and got on that elliptical. When I was done, it felt good. My resistance muscle is starting to bulk up!

On another note, I wanted to share some thoughts from the sermon today. If you'd like to hear Pastor Chilly's sermon podcast click here. The topic was very sensitive and not what you'd expect on a "Mother's Day" Sunday, but it was needed and Christ centered. The points that Pastor Chilly gave stood out to me as something I can apply to my life where food is involved. His main points were:
1. Make a pact with your eyes.
2. Smash sinful thoughts.
3. Run from all temptation.

1. Make a pact with your eyes. We all know the saying "my eyes were bigger than my stomach". But I think that if we let our eyes eat whatever we see, our stomach will be bigger than our eyes. We need self control. (a fruit of the Spirit-Galatians 5:22-23) Don't let your eyes be in control of what you eat.

2. Smash sinful thoughts. Food is not going to fill any void. Only the Holy Spirit will fill the void in your heart. Don't feel sorry for yourself when you "deny" yourself food you think you deserve. Keep Christ at the forefront of your mind and actions.

3. Run from all temptations. Plan ahead when it comes to eating and cooking and grocery shopping. Don't let those grocery aisles get the best of you. As God for strength as you push that cart right past those cookies. If you don't purchase the junk at the store, you have eliminated so much temptation in your home.

Although these sermon points were focused on a totally different topic, the Lord used them to speak to me in a different way and I'll be holding to them!

I hope you had a GREAT Mother's Day and got in some good exercise as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment